Monday, February 11, 2008

The Ministry Amnesia

I have been thinking about our awesome volunteer leaders lately. It was just a year ago that we began in Homestead. We have had amazing leaders and seeing God minister to them has been awesome. I have seen leaders step out in faith, I have seen the fear of “ I am scared of doing this but I will do it”. It is at this points that God reminds us to fully trust in HIM.

So it is here that I came across Luke chapter 7:18-23. Here John the Baptist - the man who led the way for the Messiah, Jesus - the one who had Baptized Jesus…. had doubt! John had been thrown in prison and it was at this point that he began to doubt!

Can you imagine?

I would have answered … something like you are horrible I am disappointed! I cant believe you forgot what you already knew!!! How can you ever get to that POINT of doubting who I am? Did you not see what I was doing?

...But Christ in His loving and graceful way kindly replies to this;

“ Go and report to John what YOU have SEE and HEARD!”

So how does this apply to us? There are many volunteers who begin to serve and become deeply committed to the ministry. Then they begin to go through hardships… and in the midst of these hardship these doubt settles in… the thoughts of God… why is this happening? I mean was I not serving you?
So is it wrong for us to think this?
I don’t think so… I think it is something normal for us to go through… but we must NOT forget what we HAVE SEEN and HEARD!
It is when we forget that what we have SEEN and HEARD that our commitment level gets lowered!

No comments: