Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thankful heart


I got the opportunity to go to El Salvador a week ago and it was an unbelievable experience. I went to one of the schools that my Father founded in 1995. I had gone to this school and visited in 2003 and I had an experience that I had forgotten but as I was walking through the school was reminded of it.
This school was established to minister to underprivileged children. These kids live with alcoholic parents in a one bedroom home and if they are lucky share one bed with the whole family. We took the student missions team to this school and we hosted a piƱata party. It was exciting; these kids probably never had a party like that! We brought tons of candy and I just loved that feeling of putting a smile in the face of a child.
There came a point in this afternoon that I just happily gave all my candy away and just sat down just to ponder and thank God for this opportunity. What I had not noticed was that a kid had been watching me hand all the candy and during this time we locked eyes and I just smiled, held both hands out and said, ”sorry I don’t have anymore!” He came over and out of his pocket took out two pieces of candy and gave me one and kept the other. He then smiled and ran out and caught up to his friends and left me there with one piece of candy and a gracious heart.
This kid who I have no idea how often got free candy had given up half of his share… that night I remember just crying to God and saying thanks for the many blessing He had given me! Everything is HIS! God thank for that moment when that kid taught me what unselfishness is. That day I thought I was doing a huge thing, I thought I was doing a wonderful deed, But I was not giving up nothing that meant a lot to me, but I knew that, that candy was something that was special to that kid but yet he was willing to give it up for me and share it with me! WOW I want to have a heart like his!
A thankful heart!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am so thankful for the way God continually uses little children to teach me also. Reading this blog just reminded me once again how much I love God and kids! Thanks for sharing your experience.